Seafood Batter Recipe using Ritz Crackers–this is really good!
This is from Food.com
27 Ritz Crackers-crushed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup of Flour
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2/ cup of buttermilk (can also put one tablespoon of white vinegar in 1/2 cup of milk for 7 minutes)
2-3 drops of hot sauce (Tabasco or the milder Crystal)
1 large egg slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel the shrimp, de-vein as an example. For fish–get the filet ready.
- Pour about 3 inches of oil into a large deep heavy duty skillet or cast-iron skillet and prepare to heat oil to 375 degrees. While it is heating up,
- In a bowl, mix together the crushed Ritz crackers, flour, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and seasoning salt-set aside
- In another bowl mix/whisk together the buttermilk, egg, hot sauce and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper until well combined
- Dip the shrimp or fish into the buttermilk mixture, then dredge into the cracker mixture.
- Place the shrimp or fish into the hot oil at 375 degrees
- Fry in batches for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown for shrimp, longer for fish.
And if you want some very nice cocktail sauce
Place about a cup of ketchup in a bowl,
Place about two tablespoons of prepared horseradish in the bowl–not the creamy stuff, you want the course horseradish!
Add about a tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce and stir.
It will be mild and a good place to start. Add additional horseradish and/or hot sauce until it get to the point you love it! Try it on a cracker to test.
And if you want Tarter Sauce
Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo Jr.
Prep Time:10 minutes or less
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
2 to 3 dashes hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
In a small bowl, mix all
the ingredients together until well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.